REGIONAL EASTERN AFRICA FIRE MONITORING RESOURCE CENTER (REAFMRC)
The Regional Eastern Africa Fire Management Resource Center (REAFMRC) is serving countries of the Sub-Saharan Africa, notably East Africa, by provision, archiving and interpreting scientific-technical information and satellite-derived near-real time and historic data on landscape fires. Furthermore, the Center contribute to close interaction between all departments in wildfire monitoring for early warning information on active burning, fire danger and burned area monitoring. In this scope, the REAFMRC will
- generate, archive, interpret and disseminate scientific-technical and satellite-derived near-real time and historic data and information on landscape fires.)
- organize consultations aimed at generating awareness and foster cooperation among decision-makers of all concerned sectors about the importance of fire management at landscape level as a prerequisite for the implementation of national land management and environment policies.
- support advanced landscape fire management training courses combined with field practice for professionals working in the institutions with a task in landscape fire management or disaster risk reduction.
- support national authorities in reaching out to civil society and their active participation in wildfire prevention and risk reduction, notably at local community level.
- Coordinator and Secretariat, Global Wildland Fire Network (GWFN) and the UNISDR Wildland Fire Advisory Group (UNISDR-WFAG)
- Interim Secretariat, International Wildfire Preparedness Mechanism (IWPM)
- Secretariat, International Fire Aviation Working Group (IFAWG)
- Coordinator, Eurasian Team of Specialists on Landscape Fire Management